Monday, August 21, 2006

My blog comment was labeled as spam

Has this ever happened to you? I wrote a simple response to a blog post on the blog, Nektros, and my comment was marked as spam and almost didn't get through.

Here is the comment I left:
Yvonne - awesome blog. I love being a troll. Check out my post on why Mel Gibson needs a blog.

Have you ever left any comments and wondered why they were never published?

Yvonne over at Nektros uses the anti-spam program called Akismet to monitor blog comment submissions. My simple comment in which I was responding to her post on 5 and a half reasons why Internet trolls are awesome almost got deleted (Yvonne did post my comment though after she found it in the spam trash can). This is a warning to everyone to watch as to how you comment because of new programs like Akismet.

I looked on Akismet's site and there is no definition as to how they determine what is comment spam so I emailed them and asked them what the hell that was about. I'll let you know what I find.

Chad H.

Technorati tags: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chad,

When I first started my site, I didn't use Akismet because it's too strict with my readers. Then I had no choice but to turn it on, as I started getting truckloads of spam :( It will happen with you eventually, so I'd prepare yourself!

Most of the comments on my site are posted immediately, but any comments with outgoing links are marked as spam, for obvious reasons.

For a lot more info on spammers and spam tools, I recommend looking it up at http://lorelle.wordpress.com.

Now I think this comment'll be marked as spam too :P

Chad said...

No it wasn't spam :) Thanks for the details Yvonne! Chad H

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin